Getting on a call with your students is one of the best ways to improve your course.
You can get a glimpse into their lives, uncover what challenges your course solved for them, and get direct feedback on what you could improve.
Even if you've already sent them a survey, it's still worth scheduling 1:1 calls because you can go so much deeper there.
☎️ Ask for permission to record the call.
👂 Listen more than you talk.
❓ No leading questions! Ask open-ended questions.
🤫 Embrace the uncomfortable silence.
🪞 Mirror back to them what they just told you.
🔦 Dig deeper with "Tell me more about that!"
🌱 Don't force the script. Follow the natural flow of the conversation.
- What specifically was happening in your life and business that made you decide to sign up? What was at stake for you?
- What were you actively doing or trying before to [reach their goals]? How did that work out?
- Out of all the places you could’ve turned to, why did you choose this course?
- What do you remember, if any, being the biggest concern or obstacle that nearly prevented you from signing up? What got you over it?
- Going through the course, what made the biggest impact for you?
- Since then, what specifically has changed in your life/business? What successes have you had?
- What should we improve about the course?
- If you had to describe the course with 3 words, what would those be?