First of all, what is a Second Brain?
It’s a trusted place outside your head where you collect and organize ideas, information and insights and use them to do your best work.
Your Second Brain can live in any notetaking app such as Evernote, Notion, Obsidian, Apple Notes, you name it.
Now, why do you need a Second Brain as an online course creator?
You need it because building an online course (like any other worthwhile endeavor) requires you to take in, manage, and output a ton of information.
And how well you do that will determine the success of your course.
Here’s a glimpse of the information you need to manage as a course creator:
- The challenges, goals, objections of your ideal students that you uncover through conversations and observe on social media
- The exact words your audience uses to describe their struggles and goals which is perfect input for your copywriting
- Questions potential students ask you that can give you ideas for new content
- Examples of compelling landing pages and emails from other course creators you can learn from and emulate
- Important links that you want to keep handy for easy access, e.g., to your lead magnet or checkout page
- Your course material which is what you want to teach, including ideas for exercises to help your students apply your methods
- Notes to prepare for your live sessions and workshops so you can run them smoothly and without hiccups
- Best practices that you pick up from competitors and the things you want to avoid
- Testimonials from students raving about your course that you can use in your launch emails and on your landing page
- Questions students ask you during the course that help you refine your material
- The communication you send to students, such as onboarding and reminder emails that you can reuse in the next cohort
- The decisions you’ve made as well as notes on why you’ve gone a certain way not another
- Lessons learned from running your course and ideas you want to try in the next cohort
That’s a lot of information!
Having a central place to keep all this – well-organized and easily accessible – will make your life infinitely easier.
This is what happens when you have a Second Brain:
- You won’t have to start from scratch every time and, instead, can build on what you’ve got.
- You’ll always have the right information at your fingertips, not having to scramble through four different apps trying to find what you’re looking for.
- You can learn from mistakes and try new ideas because you’re recording what you’re doing and why you’re doing it.
- You’ll free up mental bandwidth to improve your course and create new products and experiences for your students.
Ultimately, a Second Brain will save you time and your sanity as you’re building and growing your online course.
What’s the best place to start building a Second Brain: buildingasecondbrain.com.